04.06.2016 04:39, Justin Brown пишет:
> Here's some thoughts:
>
>> Assume a CD sized (680MB) /boot
>
> Some distros carry patches for grub that allow booting from Btrfs,
> so no separate /boot file system is required. (Fedora does not;
> Ubuntu -- and therefore probably all Debians -- does.)

Which grub (or which Fedora) do you mean? btrfs support is upstream
since 2010.

There are restrictions, in particular RAID levels support (RAID5/6 are
not implemented).

>> perhaps a 200MB (?) sized EFI partition
>
> Way bigger than necessary. It should only be 1-2MiB, and IIRC 2MiB
> might be the max UEFI allows.

You may want to review recent discussion on systemd regarding systemd
boot (a.k.a. gummiboot) which wants to have ESP mounted as /boot.

UEFI mandates support for FAT32 on ESP so max size should be whatever
max size FAT32 has.

>> The additional problem is most articles reference FDE (Full Disk
>> Encryption) - but that doesn't seem to be prudent. e.g. Unencrypted
>> /boot. So having problems finding concise links on the topics, -FDE
>> -"Full Disk Encryption".
>
> Yeah, when it comes to FDE, you either have to make your peace with
> trusting the manufacturer, or you can't. If you are going to boot
> your system with a traditional boot loader, an unencrypted partition
> is mandatory.

No, it is not with grub2 that supports LUKS (and geli in *BSD world). Of
course initial grub image must be written outside of encrypted area and
readable by firmware.

> That being said, we live in a world with UEFI Secure
> Boot. While your EFI parition must be unencrypted vfat, you can sign
> the kernels (or shims), and the UEFI can be configured to only boot
> signed executables, including only those signed by your own key. Some
> distros already provide this feature, including using keys probably
> already trusted by the default keystore.

UEFI Secure Boot is rather orthogonal to the question of disk encryption.