Nisse Karlsson posted on Wed, 15 Jun 2016 11:58:36 +0200 as excerpted:

> Since I have about 1.5TB unallocated space it's my understanding that
> this shouldn't be a problem, or am I completely wrong?

Quick partial answer...

It's not just unallocated space in total that matters, but also the
number of devices with unallocated space.  To write raid10 chunks
requires four devices.  To write raid1 chunks requires two.

However, your usage output does indicate several hundred gigs of
unallocated space on multiple devices, so convert to raid1 shouldn't be
ENOSPCing...  That it is would indicate a bug.  There have been various
bugs of this sort, but I'm just a list regular, not a dev, and I'm not
sure of the current status, whether any such bugs are currently known or
not.

You don't mention kernel version in your post and I don't have time to
look up the bug ATM, but you might try the latest 4.1 and 4.4 LTS kernels
as well as the latest 4.6 and 4.7-rc kernels to see if it makes a
difference.  If it's a problem with 4.6 and 4.7-rc then it becomes
interesting, and if it works with 4.4 or 4.1, even more so.