On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Goffredo Baroncelli <kreij...@inwind.it> wrote:

> The raid5 write hole is avoided in BTRFS (and in ZFS) thanks to the checksum.

Yeah I'm kinda confused on this point.

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID56

It says there is a write hole for Btrfs. But defines it in terms of
parity possibly being stale after a crash. I think the term comes not
from merely parity being wrong but parity being wrong *and* then being
used to wrongly reconstruct data because it's blindly trusted.

I don't read code well enough, but I'd be surprised if Btrfs
reconstructs from parity and doesn't then check the resulting
reconstructed data to its EXTENT_CSUM.

--
Chris Murphy