On 07/16/2016 07:53 PM, Qu Wenruo wrote:

On 07/15/2016 07:29 PM, Christian Rohmann wrote:
Hey Qu, all

On 07/15/2016 05:56 AM, Qu Wenruo wrote:

The good news is, we have patch to slightly speedup the mount, by
avoiding reading out unrelated tree blocks.

In our test environment, it takes 15% less time to mount a fs filled
with 16K files(2T used space).

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9021421/

I have a 30TB RAID6 filesystem with compression on and I've seen mount
times of up to 20 minutes (!).

I don't want to sound unfair, but 15% improvement is good, but not in
the league where BTRFS needs to be.
Do I understand you comments correctly that further improvement would
result in a change of the on-disk format?

Yes, that's the case.

The problem is, we put BLOCK_GROUP_ITEM into extent tree, along with tons of
EXTENT_ITEM/METADATA_ITEM.

This makes search for BLOCK_GROUP_ITEM very very very slow if extent tree is
really big.

On the handle, we search CHUNK_ITEM very very fast, because CHUNK_ITEM are in
their own tree.
(CHUNK_ITEM and BLOCK_GROUP_ITEM are 1:1 mapped)

So to completely fix it, btrfs needs on-disk format change to put
BLOCK_GROUP_ITEM into their own tree.

IMHO there maybe be some objection from other devs though.

Anyway, I add the three maintainers to Cc, and hopes we can get a better idea to
fix it.

Yeah I'm going to fix this when I do the per-block group extent tree thing.
Thanks,

Josef