On Fri, 09 Sep 2016 16:17:48 +0800, Wang Xiaoguang wrote:

> cleaner_kthread() may run at any time, in which it'll call
> btrfs_delete_unused_bgs()
> to delete unused block groups. Because this work is asynchronous, it may also
> result
> in false ENOSPC error.
<snip>

With this v3 I can now no longer balance (tested only with metadata).
New chunks are allocated (as balance does) but nothing ever shrinks, until
after unmount/remount, when the cleaner eventually kicks in.

This might be related to the recent patch by Naohiro Aota:
"btrfs: let btrfs_delete_unused_bgs() to clean relocated bgs"

which by itself doesn't seem to do any harm (i.e. everything still seems
to work as expected).

-h