On 09/09/2016 01:51 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 10:12 AM, moparisthebest
> <ad...@moparisthebest.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm hoping to get some help with mounting my btrfs array which quit
>> working yesterday.  My array was in the middle of a balance, about 50%
>> remaining, when it hit an error and remounted itself read-only [1].
>> btrfs fi show output [2], btrfs df output [3].
>>
>> I unmounted the array, and when I tried to mount it again, it locked up
>> the whole system so even alt+sysrq would not work.  I rebooted, tried to
>> mount again, same lockup.  This was all kernel 4.5.7.
>>
>> I rebooted to kernel 4.4.0, tried to mount, crashed again, this time a
>> message appeared on the screen and I took a picture [4].
>>
>> I rebooted into an arch live system with kernel 4.7.2, tried to mount
>> again, got some dmesg output before it crashed [5] and took a picture
>> when it crashed [6], says in part 'BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL
>> pointer dereference at 00000000000001f0'.
>>
>> Is there anything I can do to get this in a working state again or
>> perhaps even recover some data?
>>
>> Thanks much for any help
>>
>> [1]: https://www.moparisthebest.com/btrfs/initial_crash.txt
>> [2]: https://www.moparisthebest.com/btrfs/btrfsfishow.txt
>> [3]: https://www.moparisthebest.com/btrfs/btrfsdf.txt
>> [4]: https://www.moparisthebest.com/btrfsoops.jpg
>> [5]: https://www.moparisthebest.com/btrfs/dmsgprecrash.txt
>> [6]: https://www.moparisthebest.com/btrfsnulldereference.jpg
>
> Good report. Try on the 4.7.2 kernel system, two consoles, have one
> ready with 'echo w > /proc/sysrq-trigger' as root (sudo doesn't work)
> but don't issue it, mount in the other console and then switch back
> and issue the sysrq. It'll take a while, minutes maybe even to switch
> consoles, and then also for the command itself to issue, and then
> minutes before the result actually gets committed to systemd journal
> or var/log/messages. If it's a systemd system, and if you have to
> force reboot to regain control, you can get the sysrq with 'journalctl
> -b-1 -k > outputfile.txt'
>
> Also btrfs check output is useful to include also (without --repair
> for starters).
>
> The thing that concerns me is this occasional problem that comes up
> sometimes with lzo compressed volumes. Duncan knows more about that
> one so he may chime in. I would definitely only do default mounts for
> the above, don't include the compression option. You could also try -o
> ro,recovery and see where that gets you.

This is indeed an lzo compressed system, it's always been mounted with
that option anyhow.

btrfs check has been running for ~6 hours so far, I'll follow up with
output on that when it finishes.

Hmm, the problem with the 4.7.2/systemd system is it's a live usb system
so the log/journal wouldn't be saved anywhere except tmpfs, I'll see
what I can rig up unless someone has any amazing ideas?  I'm still brand
new to systemd...

Thanks!