On 9/11/16, Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net> wrote:
> Martin Steigerwald posted on Sun, 11 Sep 2016 17:32:44 +0200 as excerpted:
>>> What is the smallest recommended fs size for btrfs?
>>> Can we say size should be in multiples of 64MB?
>> Do you want to know the smalled *recommended* or the smallest *possible*
>> size?

In fact both.
I'm reconsidering my options for /boot

> * Metadata, and thus mixed-bg, defaults to DUP mode on a single-device
> filesystem (except on ssd where I actually still use it myself, and
> recommend it except for ssds that do firmware dedupe).  In mixed-mode
> this means two copies of data as well, which halves the usable space.

> IOW, when using mixed-mode, which is recommended under a gig, and dup
> replication which is then the single-device default, effective usable
> space is **HALVED**, so 256 MiB btrfs size becomes 128 MiB usable. (!!)

> * There's also a system chunk to consider.  This too is normally dup mode
> on single device, raid1 on multi.  While it shrinks to some extent with
> size of filesystem, my 256 MiB /boot still has a 15.5 MiB system chunk,
> doubled due to dup mode to 31 MiB.  This is overhead you won't be able to
> use for anything else.
>
> * There's also global reserve.  This is a part of metadata (and thus
> mixed-mode) that cannot be used under normal circumstances either.
> However, unlike normal metadata, the accounting here is single -- it's X
> space reserved no matter the replication type.  On my 256 MiB /boot, it's
> 4 MiB.
>
> So of my 256 MiB btrfs mixed-mode /boot, 31+4=35 MiB is overhead, leaving
> 221 MiB for actual data and metadata.  But due to dup mode that's halved,
> to 110.5 MiB usable space.

That's quite an info.. Thanks a lot..

Just to note again:
Ordinary 127MB btrfs gives "Out of space" around
64MB payload. 128MB is usable to the end.

I'm experimenting with an extracted (and customized) initrd
on /boot. That is, /boot is a "minimal root on its own" which
can switch to real root or do other things. Kernel and modules
at /boot will not support any fs other than btrfs. (Or it may)

It seems a minimally usable root around 10MB is possible.
And it is free of udev and systemd..