Thank you for the assistance Chris :-)

On 15 September 2016 at 17:18, Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Stefan Malte Schumacher
>> <stefan.m.schumac...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I believe it may be a result of replacing my old installation of
>> Debian Jessie with Debian Stretch
>

>> btrfs --version
>> btrfs-progs v4.7.1
>
> Upgrade to 4.7.2 or downgrade to 4.6.1 before using btrfs check; see
> the changelog for details. I'm not recommending that you use btrfs
> check, just saying this version of tools is not reliable for some
> file systems.

Hi Stefan, as far as I can tell 4.7.2 is currently blocked from
migrating from unstable to testing due to a glibc version transition,
so the easiest thing to do is to get fall back on 4.6.1 found here:
http://snapshot.debian.org/package/btrfs-progs/4.6.1-1/

Cheers,
Nicholas

P.S. You're brave to run testing before the soft-freeze!  Occasionally
security fixes in sid can't propagate to testing, because a transition
like this is in progress ( https://www.debian.org/security/faq#testing
).