On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 03:00:26PM +0100, Niccolò Belli wrote:
> Hi,
> I use snapper, so I have plenty of snapshots in my btrfs partition and most
> of my data is already deduplicated because of that.
> Since long time ago I run offline defragmentation once (because I didn't
> know extents get unshared) I wanted to run offline deduplication to free a
> couple of GBs.
>
> This is the script I use to stop snapper, set snapshots to rw, balance,
> deduplicate, etc: https://paste.pound-python.org/show/vPUGVNjPQbDvr4HbtMgs/
>
> $ cat after_balance Overall:
>    Device size:                 152.36GiB
> Device allocated:            136.00GiB
> Device unallocated:           16.35GiB
> Device missing:                  0.00B
> Used:                        133.97GiB
> Free (estimated):             17.17GiB      (min: 17.17GiB)
> Data ratio:                       1.00
> Metadata ratio:                   1.00
> Global reserve:              239.94MiB      (used: 0.00B)
> Data,single: Size:133.00GiB, Used:132.18GiB
> /dev/mapper/cryptroot         133.00GiB
> Metadata,single: Size:3.00GiB, Used:1.79GiB
> /dev/mapper/cryptroot           3.00GiB
> System,single: Size:3.00MiB, Used:16.00KiB
> /dev/mapper/cryptroot           3.00MiB
> Unallocated:
> /dev/mapper/cryptroot          16.35GiB
>

> $ cat after_duperemove_and_balance
> Overall:
> Device size:                 152.36GiB
> Device allocated:            136.03GiB
> Device unallocated:           16.33GiB
> Device missing:                  0.00B
> Used:                        133.81GiB
> Free (estimated):             16.55GiB      (min: 16.55GiB)
> Data ratio:                       1.00
> Metadata ratio:                   1.00
> Global reserve:              512.00MiB      (used: 0.00B)
>
> Data,single: Size:127.00GiB, Used:126.77GiB
>   /dev/mapper/cryptroot         127.00GiB
>
> Metadata,single: Size:9.00GiB, Used:7.03GiB
>   /dev/mapper/cryptroot           9.00GiB
>
> System,single: Size:32.00MiB, Used:16.00KiB
>   /dev/mapper/cryptroot          32.00MiB
>
> Unallocated:
>   /dev/mapper/cryptroot          16.33GiB
>

> As you can see it freed 5.41 GB of data, but it also added 5.24 GB of
> metadata. The estimated free space is now 16.55 GB, while before the
> deduplication it was higher: 17.17 GB.
>
> This is when running duperemove git with noblock, but almost nothing changes
> if I omitt it (it defaults to block).
> Why did my metadata increase by a 4x factor? 99% of my data already had
> shared extents because of snapshots, so why such a huge increase?

Sharing by snapshot is different from sharing by dedup.

For snapshots, a new tree node is introduced which shares the entire
rest of the tree.  So you get:

        Root 123 -----\                   /--- Node 85 --- data 84
                       >----- Node 87 ---<
        Root 124 -----/                   \--- Node 43 --- data 42

This means there's 16K of metadata (actually probably more, but small
nonetheless) that is sharing the entire subvol.

For dedup, each shared data extent is shared individually, and metadata
is not shared at all:

    Root 123 -----\                   /--- Node 85 --- data 84 (shared)
                   \----- Node 87 ---<
                                      \--- Node 43 --- data 42 (shared)

                                  /--- Node 129 --- data 84 (shared)
    Root 124 ------- Node 131 ---<
                                  \--- Node 126 --- data 42 (shared)

If you dedup over a set of snapshots, it eventually unshares the metadata.
The data is still shared, but _only_ the data, so it multiplies the
metadata size by the number of snapshots.  It's even worse if you have
dup metadata since the cost of each new metadata page is doubled.