On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 11:40 AM, Marc Joliet <mar...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm having some trouble with btrfs on a laptop, possibly due to qgroups.
> Specifically, some file system activities (e.g., snapshot creation,
> baloo_file_extractor from KDE Plasma) cause the system to hang for up to about
> 40 minutes, maybe more.

Do you get any blocked tasks kernel messages? If so, issue sysrq+w
during the hang, and then check the system log (dmesg may not contain
everything if the command fills the message buffer). If it's a hang
without any kernel messages, then issue sysrq+t.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sysrq.txt

> After I next turned on the laptop, the balance resumed, causing bootup to
> fail, after which I remembered about the skip_balance mount option, which I
> tried in a rescue shell from an initramfs.

The file system is the root filesystem? If so, skip_balance may not be
happening soon enough. Use kernel parameter rootflags=skip_balance
which will apply this mount option at the very first moment the file
system is mounted during boot.

> Since I couldn't use skip_balance, and logically can't destroy qgroups on a
> read-only file system, I decided to wait for a regular mount to finish.  That
> has been running since Tuesday, and I am slowly growing impatient.

Haha, no kidding! I think that's very patient.

> Thus I arrive at my question(s): is there anything else I can try, short of
> reformatting and restoring from backup?  Can I use btrfs-check here, or any
> other tool?  Or...?

Yes, btrfs-progs 4.8.5 has the latest qgroup checks, so if there's
something wrong it should find it and if not that's a bug of its own.

> Also, should I be able to avoid reformatting: how do I properly disable quota
> support?

'btrfs quota disable' is the only command that applies to this and it
requires rw mount; there's no 'noquota' mount option.

--
Chris Murphy