On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 10:15 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net> wrote:
> Chris Murphy posted on Wed, 18 Jan 2017 14:30:28 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 2:07 PM, Jon <jmoro...@hawaii.edu> wrote:
>>> So, I had a raid 1 btrfs system setup on my laptop. Recently I upgraded
>>> the drives and wanted to get my data back. I figured I could just plug
>>> in one drive, but I found that the volume simply would not mount. I
>>> tried the other drive alone and got the same thing. Plugging in both at
>>> the same time and the volume mounted without issue.
>>
>> Requires mount option degraded.
>>
>> If this is a boot volume, this is difficult because the current udev
>> rule prevents a mount attempt so long as all devices for a Btrfs volume
>> aren't present.
>
> OK, so I've known about this from the list for some time, but what is the
> status with regard to udev/systemd (has a bug/issue been filed, results,
> link?), and what are the alternatives, both for upstream, and for a dev,
> either trying to be proactive, or currently facing a refusal to boot due
> to the issue?

The only possible solution is to introduce separate object that
represents btrsf "storage" (raid) that exports information whether it
can be mounted. Then it is possible to start timer and decide to mount
degraded after timer expires.

Compare with Linux MD that is assembled by udev as well and does exactly that.

Where this object is better implemented - I do not know. It can be
btrfs side (export pseudo device similar to /dev/mdX for Linux MD). It
can be user space - special service that waits for device assembly.

Abstracting it on btrfs level is more clean and does not depend on
specific user space (a.k.a. udev/systemd). OTOH zfs shares the same
problem at the end, so common solution to multi-device filesystem
handling would be good.