At 05/10/2017 01:29 AM, David Sterba wrote:
On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 09:39:05AM +0800, Qu Wenruo wrote:
When balance(relocation) fails, btrfs-progs will report like:

ERROR: error during balancing '/mnt/scratch': Input/output error
There may be more info in syslog - try dmesg | tail

However kernel can't provide may useful info in many cases to locate the
problem.

This patch will add error messages in relocation to help user and
developer to locate the problem.

I think it's too verbose for a user, and not really helpful what to do
after such error message appears in the log. The errors translate name
of the last function that failed, so the user would need to be familiar
with the inner workings of the balance to make sense of it.

Yes, normal user may never need such verbose output.

But it will help developers or support guys to wipe out some really easy cases.

The meessages may make sense to a developer, but then it's not necessary
to print them as btrfs_err, but btrfs_debug.

I also considered btrfs_debug, but the problem is btrfs_debug() depend on either CONFIG_DYANMIC_DEBUG or DEBUG.

So when problem happens in real world, we're too late to ensure such output.

Thanks,
Qu