Roman Mamedov posted on Wed, 10 May 2017 13:52:55 +0500 as excerpted:

> So even with a minor corruption (something wonky in just ONE block of a
> multi-terabyte FS) the answer is way too often "nuke the entire thing
> and restore from backups".

Just another case where my "keep it small enough to be maintainable"
policy triggers.  If that double-digit-TB fs is instead broken along
functional/logical lines into say a dozen 1 TB each fs and that single
block is corrupted, it can only be corrupted in one of them, so 11 of the
dozen will be fine, and nuking to restore from backups just the single 1
TB filesystem of a dozen, instead of the single 12-TB fs, isn't such a
big deal -- it remains realistically maintainable.

Of course if at your scale 12 TB... or 12000 TB... is considered
maintainable, great, but then we'd be unlikely to be having this
discussion...