On 2017-05-12 09:54, Ochi wrote:
On 2017-05-11 19:24, Ochi wrote:
Hello,

here is the journal.log (I hope). It's quite interesting. I rebooted the
machine, performed a mkfs.btrfs on dm-{2,3,4} and dm-3 was missing
afterwards (around timestamp 66.*). However, I then logged into the
machine from another terminal (around timestamp 118.*) which triggered
something to make the device appear again :O Indeed, dm-3 was once again
there after logging in. Does systemd mix something up?

Hmm, I just did another mkfs once the devices where back, devices were
missing, but they re-appeared a few seconds later, without logging into
a terminal. After another mkfs, they were gone again and are now still
gone after waiting a few minutes. It's really weird, I can't really tell
what triggers this yet. Will test more tomorrow, let me know if you have
any more ideas what to try.

It looks like something made systemd think that it should tear down
the LUKS volumes, but it somehow only got /dev/dm-3 and not the
others, and then you logging in and triggering the creation of the
associated user slice somehow made it regain it's senses.  Next time
you see it disappear, try checking `systemctl status` for the unit you
have set up for the LUKS volume and see what that says.  I doubt it
will give much more info, but I suspect it will say it's stopped,
which will solidify that systemd is either misconfigured or doing
something stupid (and based on past experience, I'm willing to bet
it's the latter).

I will take a closer look at systemd when I get home. I would like to
point out that this sounds very related to these fairly recent systemd
issues:

So my best guess is that systemd is indeed doing weird stuff with
multi-device btrfs volumes.
Oh, it's known that systemd does weird stuff with multi-device setups, even if they aren't BTRFS, but this is odd behavior that I've not seen anything about before (I don't use systemd myself except on the reference VM's I have for the various distros that use it by default, so I end up hearing about this stuff through word of mouth).

That said, some of the discussion in that first issue you mentioned actually provides a possible explanation for some of the issues existing at all, namely that there appears to be a disconnect between how BTRFS actually behaves and how the systemd developers thinks it behaves (the question from Pottering about what's doing the 'assembly' is particularly interesting, given that there is nothing other than the kernel that does the equivalent of the 'assembly' step for an MD array or scanning for an LVM array).