While reading the thread about adding zstd compression, it occurred to me that
there is potentially another thing affecting performance - Compressed extent
size. (correct my terminology if it's incorrect).
I have two near identical RAID1 filesystems (used for backups) on near
identical discs (HGST 3T), one compressed and one not. The filesystems have
about 40 snapshots and are about 50% full. The uncompressed filesystem runs at
about 60 MB/s, the compressed filesystem about 5-10 MB/s. There is noticeably
more "noise" from the compressed filesystem from all the head thrashing that
happens while rsync is happening.

Which brings me to my point - In terms of performance for compression, is there
some low hanging fruit in adjusting the extent size to be more like
uncompressed extents so there is not so much seeking happening? With spinning
discs with large data sets it seems pointless making the numerical calculations
faster if the discs can't keep up. Obviously this is assuming optimisation for
speed over compression ratio.

Thoughts?

Paul.