On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 10:59 AM, Andrei Borzenkov <arvidj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 07.07.2017 19:42, Chris Murphy пишет:
>> I'm digging through piles of list emails and not really finding an
>> answer to this. Maybe it's Friday and I'm just confused...
>>

>> [root@f26s ~]# btrfs device ready /dev/sda1
>> [root@f26s ~]# echo $?
>> 0
>> [root@f26s ~]# btrfs device ready /dev/mapper/vg-1
>> [root@f26s ~]# echo $?
>> 0
>>

>> /dev/sda1 is a single device btrfs and it is present, 'btrfs fi show' finds
>> it.
>> /dev/mapper/vg-1 is one member of a two device Btrfs volume, the
>> missing device is /dev/mapper/vg-2 and 'btrfs fi show' sees 1 but not
>> 2 and says a device is missing.
>>
>> And yet the ready command completes and the exit code is the same, and
>> I just don't understand the purpose of this command. The man page says
>> "wait" but I don't see any waiting, so at the very least we probably
>> need to come up with a more descriptive man page description.
>>

> Here on Ubuntu 16.04.2 man page says
>
>        ready <device>
>            Check device to see if it has all of it’s devices in cache
> for mounting.

4.11 man page says for 'btrfs device ready'
Wait until all devices of a multiple-device filesystem are scanned and
registered within the kernel module.

Not sure when it was updated.

> Nothing about "wait".
>
> btrfs device ready is only useful during startup. The only check it does
> - whether kernel knows about all devices or not. It is really intended
> to be used from udev rule to delay attempt to mount filesystem until all
> devices have been seen. And it is only useful with systemd as it is the
> only program that actually pays attention to it.

OK that make sense. I'm just not used to the convention where a user
space tool does literally nothing for the user, and also has a man
page entry as if it is for users. And I get that developers are users
too, it just seems like an odd convention but whatever.

--
Chris Murphy