> The btrfs developers should have known this, and announced this,
a long time ago, in various prominent ways that it would be difficult
for potential new users to miss.

I'm also a user like you, and I felt like this too when I came here (BTW there
are several traps in BTRFS, and other are causing partial or whole filesystem
loss, so you're lucky). There's truth in your words that some warning is
needed, but in this open-source business it is not clear who should give it to
whom. Developers in the list are actually spending their time on adding such
warnings to kernel and command-line tools, but e.g. people using GUI and not
reading dmesg over breakfast won't see them anyways. All situation is
unfortunate because hardware and OS vendors keep hyping BTRFS and making it
default in their products when it is clearly not ready, but you're now talking
to and blaming the wrong people.

Personally for me coming to this list was the most helpful thing in
understanding BTRFS current state and limitations. I'm still using it, although
in a very careful and controlled manner. But browsing the list every day sadly
takes time. If you can't afford it or are running something absolutely
critical, better look to other, more mature filesystems. After all, as adage
says: "legacy is what we run in production".
--

With Best Regards,
Marat Khalili