On 2017-07-24 14:53, Chris Mason wrote:
On 07/24/2017 02:41 PM, David Sterba wrote:

would it be ok for you to keep ssd_working as before?

I'd really like to get this patch merged soon because "do not use ssd
mode for ssd" has started to be the recommended workaround. Once this
sticks, we won't need to have any ssd mode anymore ...

Works for me. I do want to make sure that commits in this area include the workload they were targeting, how they were measured and what impacts they had. That way when we go back to try and change this again we'll understand what profiles we want to preserve.
Just thinking long term here, but might it make sense to (eventually) allow the user to tune how big a chunk of space to look for? I know that ext* have options to do this kind of thing, and I think XFS does too (but they do it at filesystem creation time), and I do know people who make use of those to make sure things are working at their absolute best.