On 2017年08月14日 22:03, David Sterba wrote:
On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 09:17:08PM +0800, Qu Wenruo wrote:

On 2017年08月14日 21:06, David Sterba wrote:
On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 02:17:26PM +0200, Hallo32 wrote:
Since versions 4.12 btrfs-progs is complicated to cross compile for
other systems.
The problem is, that this version includes mktables, which needs to be
compiled for the host system and executed there for the creation of
tables.c.

Are there any changes planed for the next version of btrfs-progs to make
the cross compiling as simple as in the past? A included tables.c for
example?

Yes, keeping the generated tables.c around is fine. There's no reason it
needs to be generated each time during build. I'll fix that in 4.12.1.

But the number of lines and impossibility to review it makes it not
suitable to be managed by git.

I don't understand your concern. The file is generated from a set of
formulas, not intended to be updated directly.

Yes, it should never be updated directly, so it's generated by a less than 400 lines program, instead of a whole 10K+ lines file managed by git.

What about using script to generate it?

We do have the mktables utility to generate it and I'll regenerate it
should there be a change to kernel-lib/mktables.c

I mean to replace mktables.c with a script.
So no cross compiler problems at all, and even easier Makefile.
No dependence on "mktables" program.

Thanks,
Qu