Hi,

On 08/17/2017 08:43 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> # btrfs sub create test1
> Create subvolume './test1'
> # btrfs sub create test1/test2
> Create subvolume 'test1/test2'
> # btrfs sub snap test1 test1.snap
> Create a snapshot of 'test1' in './test1.snap'
> # btrfs fi du -s test1
>      Total   Exclusive  Set shared  Filename
>      0.00B       0.00B       0.00B  test1
> # btrfs fi du -s test1.snap
>      Total   Exclusive  Set shared  Filename
> ERROR: cannot check space of 'test1.snap': Inappropriate ioctl for device
> #

tanks for the test case. Now I was able to reproduce the problem. The bug(s)
are two:

1) to get the treeid of the files/directory, the function lookup_path_rootid()
is used, which behaves strangely when it is called on a directory that is
BTRFS_EMPTY_SUBVOL_DIR_OBJECTID. In fact this function is commented as
following:
[....]
/*
 * For a given:
 * - file or directory return the containing tree root id
 * - subvolume return its own tree id
 * - BTRFS_EMPTY_SUBVOL_DIR_OBJECTID (directory with ino == 2) the result is
 *   undefined and function returns -1
 */
int lookup_path_rootid(int fd, u64 *rootid)
{
[....]

The caller (du_add_file()) doesn't consider this case.

2) in the function du_walk_dir(), an error returned by du_add_file() is
ignored, but the return value is not reset. So if the last entry has ino
BTRFS_EMPTY_SUBVOL_DIR_OBJECTID (directory with ino == 2) an error is returned.
But if there is another directory item no error is returned !

See the following tests cases:

# btrfs sub create test1
# btrfs sub create test1/test2
# btrfs sub snap test1 test1.snap
# btrfs fi du -s test1
     Total   Exclusive  Set shared  Filename
     0.00B       0.00B       0.00B  test1
# btrfs fi du -s test1.snap
     Total   Exclusive  Set shared  Filename
ERROR: cannot check space of 'test1.snap': Inappropriate ioctl for device

But if you add *another* file/dir in test1.snap you got:

# mkdir test1.snap/dir
# btrfs fi du -s test1.snap
     Total   Exclusive  Set shared  Filename
     0.00B       0.00B       0.00B  test1.snap

The error disappear !

Patches will follow shortly

--
gpg @keyserver.linux.it: Goffredo Baroncelli <kreijackATinwind.it>
Key fingerprint BBF5 1610 0B64 DAC6 5F7D  17B2 0EDA 9B37 8B82 E0B5