Chris and Qu thanks for your help. I was able to restore the data off
the volume. I only could not read one file that I tried to rsync (a
MySQl bin log), but it wasn't critical as I had an off-site snapshot
from that morning and ownclould could resync the files that were
changed anyway. This turned out much better than the md RAID failure
that I had a year ago. Much faster recovery thanks to snapshots.

Is there anything you would like from this damaged filesystem to help
determine what went wrong and to help make btrfs better? If I don't
hear back from you in a day, I'll destroy it so that I can add the
disks into the new btrfs volumes to restore redundancy.

Bcache wasn't providing the performance I was hoping for, so I'm
putting the root and roots for my LXC containers on the SSDs (btrfs
RAID1) and the bulk stuff on the three spindle drives (btrfs RAID1).
For some reason, it seemed that the btrfs RAID5 setup required one of
the drives, but I thought I had data with RAID5 and metadata with 2
copies. Was I missing something else that prevented mounting with that
specific drive? I don't want to get into a situation where one drive
dies and I can't get to any data.

Thank you again.