When I do a
btrfs filesystem defragment -r /directory
does it defragment really all files in this directory tree, even if it
contains subvolumes?
The man page does not mention subvolumes on this topic.

I have an older script (written by myself) which does a
"btrfs filesystem defragment -r" on all subvolumes recursivly:

  btrfs filesystem defragment -r $m
  for s in $(btrfs subvolume list $m | awk '{ print $NF }'); do
    [[ "$s" =~ ^@ ]] && continue
    [[ $(btrfs subvolume show $m/$s) =~ Flags:.*readonly ]] && continue
    btrfs filesystem defragment -r $m/$s
  done

I wonder why I have done it that way :-}

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
Rechenzentrum TIK