> [ ... ] I ran "btrfs balance" and then it started working
> correctly again. It seems that a btrfs filesystem if left
> alone will eventually get fragmented enough that it rejects
> writes [ ... ]

Free space will get fragmented, because Btrfs has a 2-level
allocator scheme (chunks within devices and leaves within
chunks). The issue is "free space" vs. "unallocated chunks".

> Is this a known issue?

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Problem_FAQ#I_get_.22No_space_left_on_device.22_errors.2C_but_df_says_I.27ve_got_lots_of_space
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/FAQ#if_your_device_is_large_.28.3E16GiB.29
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/FAQ#Understanding_free_space.2C_using_the_new_tools
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/FAQ#Why_is_free_space_so_complicated.3F
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/FAQ#What_does_.22balance.22_do.3F

That problem is particularly frequent with the 'ssd' mount
option which probably should never be used:

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Gotchas#The_ssd_mount_option