On 2017年09月20日 22:03, David Sterba wrote:
On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 08:22:54AM +0800, Qu Wenruo wrote:
The costly part will be tracking the filesystems of subvolumes.
We must do it for each subvolume and batch them to address the final
transaction commit for each fs.

I didn't see any easy ioctl to get the UUID from fd, meaning (if didn't
miss anything) we need to iterate the path until reaching the mount
boundary and then refer to mountinfo to find the fs.

The FS_INFO ioctl will tell you the fsid from a fd.  Iterating the paths
will not work reliably, due to some potentially very creative use of
mounts that could build up the path components.

The biggest concern is about how to get fsid reliably.
And since FS_INFO ioctl solves this, I'm completely fine.
(I just search "UUID" for ioctls and get no hit, so I assume it may be a problem)

Not to mention that the possible softlink in the path may make things
more complex.

Yes, this may be fixed with tons of code, but I don't think the
complexity worthy for a minor feature.

So what if we fix it like that:

- iterate over subvolumes
- check if the fsid is same as for the previous subvolume
   - if it is, continue
   - if not, do the sync

I prefer to maintain a subvolume <-> fs mapping, and only address transaction commit after all subvolumes are iterated.

IOW, sync when we leave subvolumes of one filesystem. In the degenerate
case, we can have subvolumes interleaved that we'd sync after each,
effectively --commit-each.

Since we have a subvolume <-> fs mapping, we can commit each fs after iterating all subvolumes.

AFAIK "--commit-after" user would like to introduce the minimal commits, so each fs only get committed once seems better to me.

The simple tracking should avoid keeping all the filedescriptors open
and I think this won't need tons of code to implement.

Indeed, since there is reliable fs UUID ioctl.

And above subvolume <-> fs mapping can also be used to resolve missing fd problems. Just adding a fds <-> fs mapping, and try to call commit ioctl on first good fd.

The typical could be 'btrfs subvol delete -c path/*', ie. deleting from
just one filesystem. If we happen to cross more filesystems, each of
them will get the sync, but possibly more than one. I don't think this
is too serious.

Well, after we implemented above user case, some facility can be reused for this case.

Thanks,
Qu