Am Wed, 27 Sep 2017 00:45:04 +0200
schrieb Ian Kumlien <ian.kuml...@gmail.com>:

> I just had my laptop hit the out of space kernel oops which it kinda
> hard to recover from
>
> Everything states "out of disk" even with 20 gigs free (both according
> to df and btrfs fi df)

You should run balance from time to time. I can suggest the auto
balance script from here:

https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-btrfs/msg52076.html

It can be run unattended on a regular basis.

> So I'm suspecting that i need to run btrfs check on it to recover the
> lost space (i have mounted it with clear_cache and nothing)

I don't think that "btrfs check" would recover free space, that's not a
file system corruption, it's an allocation issue due to unbalanced
chunks.

> The problem is, finally getting a shell with rd.shell rd.break=cmdline
> - systemd is still a pain and since it's "udev" it's not allowing me
> to do cryptsetup luksopen due to "dependencies"

Does "emergency" as a cmdline work? It should boot to emergency mode of
systemd. Also, "recovery" as a cmdline could work, boots to a different
mode. Both work for me using dracut on Gentoo with systemd.

> Basically, btrfs check should be able to run on a ro mounted
> fileystem, this is too hard to get working without having to bring a
> live usb stick atm

I think this is possible in the latest version but only running in
non-repair mode.

--
Regards,
Kai