Am Fri, 3 Nov 2017 08:58:22 +0300
schrieb Marat Khalili <m...@rqc.ru>:

> On 02/11/17 04:39, Dave wrote:
> > I'm going to make this change now. What would be a good way to
> > implement this so that the change applies to the $HOME/.cache of
> > each user?
> I'd make each user's .cache a symlink (should work but if it won't
> then bind mount) to a per-user directory in some separately mounted
> volume with necessary options.

On a systemd system, each user already has a private tmpfs location
at /run/user/$(id -u).

You could add to the central login script:

# CACHE_DIR="/run/user/$(id -u)/cache"
# mkdir -p $CACHE_DIR && ln -snf $CACHE_DIR $HOME/.cache

You should not run this as root (because of mkdir -p).

You could wrap it into an if statement:

# if [ "$(whoami)" -ne "root" ]; then
#   ...
# fi