On 2017-11-14 02:34, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
Hello David.

David Sterba - 13.11.17, 23:50:
while 4.14 is still fresh, let me address some concerns I've seen on linux
forums already.

The newly added ZSTD support is a feature that has broader impact than
just the runtime compression. The btrfs-progs understand filesystem with
ZSTD since 4.13. The remaining key part is the bootloader.

Up to now, there are no bootloaders supporting ZSTD. This could lead to an
unmountable filesystem if the critical files under /boot get accidentally
or intentionally compressed by ZSTD.

But otherwise ZSTD is safe to use? Are you aware of any other issues?
Aside from the obvious issue that recovery media like SystemRescueCD and the GParted LIveCD haven't caught up yet, and thus won't be able to do anything with the filesystem, my testing has not uncovered any issues, though it is by no means rigorous.