On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 1:40 PM, Jeff Mahoney <je...@suse.com> wrote:
> On 11/20/17 3:01 PM, Jeff Mahoney wrote:

>>> I've just tested with 4.14 and it definitely trims within block groups.
>>
>> Derp.  This should read 4.12.
>>
>>> I've attached my test script and the log of the run.  I'll build and
>>> test a 4.14 kernel and see if I can reproduce there.  It may well be
>>> that we're just misreporting the bytes trimmed.
>
> I get the same results on v4.14.  I wrote up a little script to parse
> the btrfs-debug-tree extent tree dump and the discards that are issued
> after the final sync (when the tree is dumped) match.
>
> The script output is also as expected:
> /mnt2: 95.1 GiB (102082281472 bytes) trimmed
> # remove every other 100MB file, totalling 1.5 GB
> + sync
> + killall blktrace
> + wait
> + echo 'after sync'
> + sleep 1
> + btrace -a discard /dev/loop0
> + fstrim -v /mnt2
> /mnt2: 96.6 GiB (103659962368 bytes) trimmed
>
> One thing that may not be apparent is that the byte count is from the
> device(s)'s perspective.  If you have a file system with duplicate
> chunks or a redundant RAID mode, the numbers will reflect that.
>
> The total byte count should be correct as well.  It's the total number
> of bytes that we submit for discard and that were accepted by the block
> layer.
>
> Do you have a test case that shows it being wrong and can you provide
> the blktrace capture of the device(s) while the fstrim is running?

Further,

# fstrim -v /
/: 38 GiB (40767586304 bytes) trimmed

And then delete 10G worth of files, do not balance, and do nothing for
a minute before:

# fstrim -v /
/: 38 GiB (40767586304 bytes) trimmed

It's the same value. Free space according to fi us is +10 larger than
before, and yet nothing additional is trimmed than before. So I don't
know what's going on but it's not working for me.

--
Chris Murphy