Hi Chris

> I don't see how you get an IO error in user space without the kernel
> reporting the source of that IO error, whatever it is.

I totally agree, so I just retried the deletion. The only thing
related I could see in /var/log/messages is this:
Nov 30 07:29:57 box kernel: [368193.019160] BTRFS info (device sdb):
found 207 extents

Shortly after this, btrfs gives me the I/O error. I am guessing that
the kernel with log to this file, and it did before I changed the disk
- but not anymore, it seems.

> If Btrfs detects corruption of data extents, it will tell you the
> exact path to file names affected, as kernel messages. If you aren't
> getting that, then it's some other problem.

So it smells like some other problem, I guess. I have no idea what, so
my best plan is to move forward on my plans to backup date, rebuild fs
and restore everything.. Does anyone have any better suggestion? :)

Thanks again for everything,

/klaus