> How much RAM on the machine and how much swap available? This looks like a
> lot of dirty data has accumulated, and then also there's swapping happening.
> Both swap out and swap in.

The machine has 16GB Ram and 40GB Swap on a SSD. Its not doing much
besides being my personal file archive, so there should be plenty of
free memory for btrfs. I have remounted the filesystem with the
clear_cache option and now will apply the tweaks mentioned by Duncan.
If this does not fix the problem I will install a more current kernel
from stretch-backports. Testing currently has btrfs-progs 4.13.3-1. Is
this version safe to use and should I upgrade it along with the
kernel?