Hi list,

(Preemptive note: this was with btrfs-progs 4.15.1, I have since upgraded to
4.17.  My kernel version is 4.14.52-gentoo.)

I recently had to restore the root FS of my desktop from backup (extent tree
corruption; not sure how, possibly a loose SATA cable?).  Everything was fine,
even if restoring was slower than expected.  However, I encountered two files
with permission problems, namely:

- /bin/ping, which caused running ping as a normal user to fail due to missing
permissions, and

- /sbin/unix_chkpwd (part of PAM), which prevented me from unlocking the KDE
Plasma lock screen; I needed to log into a TTY and run "loginctl unlock-
session".

Both were easily fixed by reinstalling the affected packages (iputils and
pam), but I wonder why this happened after restoring from backup.

I originally thought it was related to the SUID bit not being set, because of
the explanation in the ping(8) man page (section "SECURITY"), but cannot find
evidence of that -- that is, after reinstallation, "ls -lh" does not show the
sticky bit being set, or any other special permission bits, for that matter:

% ls -lh /bin/ping /sbin/unix_chkpwd
-rwx--x--x 1 root root 60K 22. Jul 14:47 /bin/ping*

-rwx--x--x 1 root root 31K 23. Jul 00:21 /sbin/unix_chkpwd*

(Note: no ACLs are set, either.)

I do remember the qcheck program (a Gentoo-specific program that checks the
integrity of installed packages) complaining about wrong file permissions, but
I didn't save its output, and there's a chance it *might* have been because I
ran qcheck without root permissions :-/ .

I vaguely remember some patches and/or discussion regarding permission
transfer issues with send/receive on this ML, but didn't find anything after
searching through my Email archive, so I might be misremembering.

Does anybody have any idea what possibly went wrong, or any similar experience
to speak of?

Greetings
--
Marc Joliet