Sterling Windmill posted on Mon, 30 Jul 2018 21:06:54 -0400 as excerpted:

> Both drives are identical, Seagate 8TB external drives

Are those the "shingled" SMR drives, normally sold as archive drives and
first commonly available in the 8TB size, and often bought for their
generally better price-per-TB without fully realizing the implications.

There have been bugs regarding those drives in the past, and while I
believe those bugs were fixed and AFAIK current status is no known SMR-
specific bugs, they really are /not/ particularly suited to btrfs usage
even for archiving, and definitely not to general usage (that is, pretty
much anything but the straight-up archiving use-case they are sold for)
use-cases.

Of course USB connections are notorious for being unreliable in terms of
btrfs usage as well, and I'd really hate to think what a combination of
SMR on USB might wreak.

If they're not SMR then carry-on! =:^)