Did i get you right?
Please correct me if i am wrong:

Scrubbing seems to have been fixed, you only have to run it once.

Hotplugging (temporary connection loss) is affected by the write hole bug, and
will create undetectable errors every 16 TB (crc32 limitation).

The write Hole Bug can affect both old and new data.
Reason: BTRFS saves data in fixed size stripes, if the write operation fails
midway, the stripe is lost.
This does not matter much for Raid 1/10, data always uses a full stripe, and
stripes are copied on write. Only new data could be lost.
However, for some reason Raid 5/6 works with partial stripes, meaning that data
is stored in stripes not completley filled by prior data, and stripes are
removed on write.
Result: If the operation fails midway, the stripe is lost as is all data
previously stored it.

Transid Mismatch can silently corrupt data.
Reason: It is a seperate metadata failure that is trigged by lost or incomplete
writes, writes that are lost somewhere during transmission.
It can happen to all BTRFS configurations and is not trigerred by the write
hole.
It could happen due to brown out (temporary undersupply of voltage), faulty
cables, faulty ram, faulty disc cache, faulty discs in general.

Both bugs could damage metadata and trigger the following:
Data will be lost (0 to 100% unreadable), the filesystem will be readonly.
Reason: BTRFS saves metadata as a tree structure. The closer the error to the
root, the more data cannot be read.

Transid Mismatch can happen up to once every 3 months per device,
depending on the drive hardware!

Question: Does this not make transid mismatch way more dangerous than
the write hole? What would happen to other filesystems, like ext4?

Am 10-Aug-2018 09:12:21 +0200 schrieb ce3g8...@umail.furryterror.org:
> > On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 03:40:23AM +0200, erentheti...@mail.de wrote:
> > > I am searching for more information regarding possible bugs related to
> > > BTRFS Raid 5/6. All sites i could find are incomplete and information
> > > contradicts itself:
> > >
> > > The Wiki Raid 5/6 Page (https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID56)
> > > warns of the write hole bug, stating that your data remains safe
> > > (except data written during power loss, obviously) upon unclean shutdown
> > > unless your data gets corrupted by further issues like bit-rot, drive
> > > failure etc.
> >
> > The raid5/6 write hole bug exists on btrfs (as of 4.14-4.16) and there are
> > no mitigations to prevent or avoid it in mainline kernels.
> >
> > The write hole results from allowing a mixture of old (committed) and
> > new (uncommitted) writes to the same RAID5/6 stripe (i.e. a group of
> > blocks consisting of one related data or parity block from each disk
> > in the array, such that writes to any of the data blocks affect the
> > correctness of the parity block and vice versa). If the writes were
> > not completed and one or more of the data blocks are not online, the
> > data blocks reconstructed by the raid5/6 algorithm will be corrupt.
> >
> > If all disks are online, the write hole does not immediately
> > damage user-visible data as the old data blocks can still be read
> > directly; however, should a drive failure occur later, old data may
> > not be recoverable because the parity block will not be correct for
> > reconstructing the missing data block. A scrub can fix write hole
> > errors if all disks are online, and a scrub should be performed after
> > any unclean shutdown to recompute parity data.
> >
> > The write hole always puts both old and new data at risk of damage;
> > however, due to btrfs's copy-on-write behavior, only the old damaged
> > data can be observed after power loss. The damaged new data will have
> > no references to it written to the disk due to the power failure, so
> > there is no way to observe the new damaged data using the filesystem.
> > Not every interrupted write causes damage to old data, but some will.
> >
> > Two possible mitigations for the write hole are:
> >
> > - modify the btrfs allocator to prevent writes to partially filled
> > raid5/6 stripes (similar to what the ssd mount option does, except
> > with the correct parameters to match RAID5/6 stripe boundaries),
> > and advise users to run btrfs balance much more often to reclaim
> > free space in partially occupied raid stripes
> >
> > - add a stripe write journal to the raid5/6 layer (either in
> > btrfs itself, or in a lower RAID5 layer).
> >
> > There are assorted other ideas (e.g. copy the RAID-Z approach from zfs
> > to btrfs or dramatically increase the btrfs block size) that also solve
> > the write hole problem but are somewhat more invasive and less practical
> > for btrfs.
> >
> > Note that the write hole also affects btrfs on top of other similar
> > raid5/6 implementations (e.g. mdadm raid5 without stripe journal).
> [...]
FreeMail powered by mail.de - MEHR SICHERHEIT, SERIOSITÄT UND KOMFORT