On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 12:50 PM, Cerem Cem ASLAN <cerem...@ceremcem.net> wrote:
> I've successfully moved everything to another disk. (The only hard
> part was configuring the kernel parameters, as my root partition was
> on LVM which is on LUKS partition. Here are the notes, if anyone
> needs:
> https://github.com/ceremcem/smith-sync/blob/master/create-bootable-backup.md)
>
> Now I'm seekin for trouble :) I tried to convert my new system (booted
> with new disk) into raid1 coupled with the problematic old disk. To do
> so, I issued:
>
> sudo btrfs device add /dev/mapper/master-root /mnt/peynir/
> /dev/mapper/master-root appears to contain an existing filesystem (btrfs).
> ERROR: use the -f option to force overwrite of /dev/mapper/master-root
> aea@aea3:/mnt$ sudo btrfs device add /dev/mapper/master-root /mnt/peynir/ -f
> ERROR: error adding device '/dev/mapper/master-root': Input/output error
> aea@aea3:/mnt$ sudo btrfs device add /dev/mapper/master-root /mnt/peynir/
> sudo: unable to open /var/lib/sudo/ts/aea: Read-only file system
>
> Now I ended up with a readonly file system. Isn't it possible to add a
> device to a running system?

Yes.

The problem is the 2nd error message:

ERROR: error adding device '/dev/mapper/master-root': Input/output error

So you need to look in dmesg to see what Btrfs kernel messages
occurred at that time. I'm gonna guess it's a failed write. You have a
few of those in the smartctl log output. Any time a write failure
happens, the operation is always fatal regardless of the file system.

--
Chris Murphy