On 2018-09-06 03:23, Nathan Dehnel wrote:
https://lwn.net/Articles/287289/

In 2008, HP released the source code for a filesystem called advfs so
that its features could be incorporated into linux filesystems. Advfs
had a feature where a group of file writes were an atomic transaction.

https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/fast15/fast15-paper-verma.pdf

These guys used advfs to add a "syncv" system call that makes writes
across multiple files atomic.

https://lwn.net/Articles/715918/

A patch was later submitted based on the previous paper in some way.

So I guess my question is, does btrfs support atomic writes across
multiple files? Or is anyone interested in such a feature?

I'm fairly certain that it does not currently, but in theory it would not be hard to add.

Realistically, the only cases I can think of where cross-file atomic _writes_ would be of any benefit are database systems.

However, if this were extended to include rename, unlink, touch, and a handful of other VFS operations, then I can easily think of a few dozen use cases. Package managers in particular would likely be very interested in being able to atomically rename a group of files as a single transaction, as it would make their job _much_ easier.