On Thu, Sep 06, 2018 at 09:25:45PM +0800, Qu Wenruo wrote:
> > The deprecation should be done in a few steps. First issue a warning
> > that the feature is deprecated and will be removed in release X. Then
> > wait until somebody complains (or not) and remove the code in release X.
> >
> > The X is something like 4.22, ie. at least 2 cycles after the
> > deprecation warning is added.
>
> Thanks for the deprecation progress.
>
> However I'm wondering if the "release X" is really needed in the warning
> message.

The specific version or date is IMHO a good practice. For features known
to be used the deprecation period may be years long and hard to predict
the version. In case of the qgroup inheritance it's a minor feature set
reduction and the 2 release period is there just in case. We can be
specific here and we should put that into the message.

> (I may forgot to submit the real deprecation patch for that release).

I document the feature deprecation and removal on the wiki changelog, so
if you forget, slipping one release causes no harm but I think somebody
will notice in time.