On 2018-09-18 14:57, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 12:16 PM, Andrei Borzenkov <arvidj...@gmail.com> wrote:
18.09.2018 08:37, Chris Murphy пишет:

The patches aren't upstream yet? Will they be?

I do not know. Personally I think much easier is to make grub location
independent of /boot, allowing grub be installed in separate partition.
This automatically covers all other cases (like MD, LVM etc).

The only case where I'm aware of this happens is Fedora on UEFI where
they write grubenv and grub.cfg on the FAT ESP. I'm pretty sure
upstream expects grubenv and grub.cfg at /boot/grub and I haven't ever
seen it elsewhere (except Fedora on UEFI).

I'm not sure this is much easier. Yet another volume that would be
persistently mounted? Where? A nested mount at /boot/grub? I'm not
liking that at all. Even Windows and macOS have saner and simpler to
understand booting methods than this.
On this front maybe, but Windows' boot sequence is insane in it's own way (fun fact, if you have the Windows 8/8.1/10 boot-loader set up to multi-boot and want it to boot to something other than the default, it has to essentially _reboot the machine_ to actually boot that alternative entry).