On 30/08/2018 04.38, Misono Tomohiro wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Not directly related this series and just FYI,
> I'm working to allow sub show/list to non-privileged user as long
> as he can access to the subvolume:
>   https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-btrfs/msg79285.html
>
> Hopefully this will be merged to master in near future
> (any comments from user/dev is welcome).
>
> Thanks,
> Misono

I found some time to play around with your patchset, it worked fine on
4.18.8-gentoo kernel.

As far as I can see, only "btrfs subvolume show" and "btrfs subvolume
list" makes sense for a regular user?

With the "cmds-separated-fscaps-v2" patchset [1], you can build
separated binaries as follows:

    # make btrfs-subvolume-list.separated
    # make btrfs-subvolume-show.separated

Now not everybody wants to install these with fscaps or setuid, but it
might also make sense to provide "/usr/bin/btrfs-subvolume-{show,list}",
as they now work for a regular user. Having both root/user binaries
concurrently is not an issue (e.g. in gentoo the full-featured btrfs
command is in "/sbin/").

Last time I checked, debian installs it to "/bin/btrfs", which from my
perspective seems to be the preferred location as soon as Misonos patch
is merged.

 [1] https://github.com/digint/btrfs-progs/tree/cmds-separated-fscaps-v2