On 2018-10-27 01:42 PM, Marc MERLIN wrote:

> I've been using btrfs for a long time now but I've never had a
> filesystem where I had 15GB apparently unusable (7%) after a balance.

The space isn't unusable.  It's just allocated.. (It's used in the sense
that it's reserved for data chunks.).  Start writing data to the drive,
and the data will fill that space before more gets allocated.. (Unless
you are using an older kernel and the filesystem gets mounted with ssd
option, in which case, you'll want to add nossd option to prevent that
behaviour.)

You can use btrfs fi usage to display that more clearly.

> I can try a defrag next, but since I have COW for snapshots, it's not
> going to help much, correct?

The defrag will end up using more space, as the fragmented parts of
files will get duplicated.  That being said, if you have the luxury to
defrag *before* taking new snapshots, that would be the time to do it.