On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 1:04 PM Lionel Bouton
<lionel-subscript...@bouton.name> wrote:

> Le 03/12/2018 à 20:56, Lionel Bouton a écrit :
> > [...]
> > Note : recently I tried upgrading from 4.9 to 4.14 kernels, various
> > tuning of the io queue (switching between classic io-schedulers and
> > blk-mq ones in the virtual machines) and BTRFS mount options
> > (space_cache=v2,ssd_spread) but there wasn't any measurable improvement
> > in mount time (I managed to reduce the mount of IO requests
>
> Sent to quickly : I meant to write "managed to reduce by half the number
> of IO write requests for the same amount of data writen"
>
> >  by half on
> > one server in production though although more tests are needed to
> > isolate the cause).

Interesting. I wonder if it's ssd_spread or space_cache=v2 that
reduces the writes by half, or by how much for each? That's a major
reduction in writes, and suggests it might be possible for further
optimization, to help mitigate the wandering trees impact.

--
Chris Murphy