I have done a test where I filled up an entire btrfs raid 1 filesystem as a
normal user. Then I simulated a failing drive. it turned out I was unable to
replace the drive, as raid1 need free space on both drives. See this mail for
details [1]

I can understand the technical reasoning behind the requirement of both drives
having some free space. But why does btrfs by default allow a normal, non root
user to completely fill up the drive? Maybe it's a good idea to reserve some
blocks on the filesystem that are only available for the root user, much like
ext4 does that (via tune2fs [-m reserved_blocks_percent] and [-r
reserved_blocks_count])

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg92550.html

---

Take your mailboxes with you. Free, fast and secure Mail & Cloud:
https://www.eclipso.eu - Time to change!