On 03/02/2021 21:54, jos...@mailmag.net wrote:
> Good Evening.
>
> I have a large BTRFS array, (14 Drives, ~100 TB RAW) which has been having
> problems mounting on boot without timing out. This causes the system to drop
> to emergency mode. I am then able to mount the array in emergency mode and
> all data appears fine, but upon reboot it fails again.
>
> I actually first had this problem around a year ago, and initially put
> considerable effort into extending the timeout in systemd, as I believed that
> to be the problem. However, all the methods I attempted did not work properly
> or caused the system to continue booting before the array was mounted,
> causing all sorts of issues. Eventually, I was able to almost completely
> resolve it by defragmenting the extent tree and subvolume tree for each
> subvolume. (btrfs fi defrag /mountpoint/subvolume/) This seemed to reduce the
> time required to mount, and made it mount on boot the majority of the time.

Not what you asked, but adding "x-systemd.mount-timeout=180s" to the
mount options in /etc/fstab works reliably for me to extend the timeout.
Of course, my largest filesystem is only 20TB, across only two devices
(two lvm-over-LUKS, each on separate physical drives) but it has very
heavy use of snapshot creation and deletion. I also run with commit=15
as power is not too reliable here and losing power is the most frequent
cause of a reboot.