On 3/19/21 4:08 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 11:21 AM Josef Bacik <jo...@toxicpanda.com> wrote:

Can we get some movement on this?  Omar is sort of spinning his wheels here
trying to get this stuff merged, no major changes have been done in a few
postings.

I'm not Al, and I absolutely detest the IOCB_ENCODED thing, and want
more explanations of why this should be done that way, and pollute our
iov_iter handling EVEN MORE.

Our iov_iter stuff isn't the most legible, and I don't understand why
anybody would ever think it's a good idea to spread what is clearly a
"struct" inside multiple different iov extents.

Honestly, this sounds way more like an ioctl interface than
read/write. We've done that before.

That's actually the way this started

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/8eae56abb90c0fe87c350322485ce8674e135074.1567623877.git.osan...@fb.com/

it was suggested that Omar make it generic by Dave Chinner, hence this is the direction it took. I'll leave the rest of the comments for Omar to respond to himself. Thanks,

Josef