Am Tue, 30 Mar 2021 10:12:40 +0200
schrieb Claudius Heine <c...@denx.de>:

> Hi Andrei,
>
> On 2021-03-30 07:38, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

> >> Yes.
>
> Ok, sorry for doubting you. My assumptions where wrong.

> >> btrfs send is not pure block based image, because it would require
> >> two absolutely identical filesystems. It needs to replicate
> >> filesystem structure so it of course needs to know which files are
> >> created/deleted. But for each file it only sends changed parts
> >> since previous snapshot. This only works if both snapshots refer
> >> to the *same* file.
> >
> > Or more precisely - btrfs send knows which filesystem content was
> > part of previous snapshot and so is already present on destination
> > and it will not send this content again. It is actually more or
> > less irrelevant which files this content belongs to.
>
> I think I understood that now.
>

> >> As was already mentioned, you need to understand how your files are
> >> changed. In particular, standard tools for software update do not
> >> rewrite files in place - they create new files with new content.
> >> From btrfs perspective they are completely different; two files
> >> with the same name in two snapshots do not share a single byte.
> >> When you compute delta between two snapshots you get instructions
> >> to delete old file and create new file with new content (that will
> >> be renamed to the same name as deleted old file). This also by
> >> necessity sends full new content.
>
> As you said, many standard tools create new files instead of updating
> files in place. But I guess a `dedupe` run before creating the
> snapshot could help here, right?
>
> If we have a root file system build process that always regenerates
> all files, and then copies those into a file system, then all files
> are 'different' from a btrfs perspective.

Not to mention that would be kind of hard to inject that rootfs into an
existing filesystem. Building with i.e. yocto or Isar (in our
specific case) would generate a new fs every time. A compression based
on binary diff would be an additional/optional step, which depends on
still having that old state. And it would have to be done many times,
for every update-base to allow.
That all sounds to me like same limitation we already know from other
filesystems and btrfs not coming to the rescue. But a solution for
btrfs might still look different than one for other filesystems.

Henning