Thanks, Nancy, for reviving this thread.  It is an important one, and you
bring up some excellent points.

> LPI will need to make sure that they can prove there is tangible value to
>going through the review process.

This is key.  Do we want to establish the bureaucracy required to review in
a meaningful way every vendor's program?  If Microsoft has had difficulty
doing a credible job of this, can LPI hope to do better?  Are we willing to
accept the delays required to accomplish this review process?  It could
become a limiting factor in the growth of the Linux movement.

I have said this before, but it bears repeating:  Take a look at the model
used by the Project Management Institute (www.pmi.org) for Project
Management Professional certification.  They have developed and published a
standard as contained in their Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK)
available from their web site.  PMI builds and administers the
certification process and provides materials to assist in the training
process, but they do not dictate the training curriculum or methods.  The
marketplace screens the quality of the training.  The word gets around.
Vendors who do a poor job of preparing people for the profession (not just
the exam!) do not get repeat business.  How does someone locate a competent
training provider?  They ask others who have been there -- exactly the kind
of interaction a professional network is supposed to encourage.

I have made contact with the PMI leadership and am looking for an
opportunity to sit down with them in a benchmarking session.  I will share
the results of their experience with the group.

For those who would favor approving each vendor's program, what would LPI
do if a vendor who did not have an LPI-approved curriculum used the
following words in their marketing material:  "We teach to the LPI
standard"?

Tom Pilsch
Continuing Education Program
Georgia Tech College of Computing