On Wed, 7 Jul 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Ok, I've extracted and pawed through the terms used in the objectives
> to form a further list of terms which we may wish to add to the list.
> I haven't yet given them definitions.  I would appreciate feedback
> if any seem inappropriate.

%< cut >%

> http://conan.ipat.com/~cert/objlist.html

Here is my initial analysis:

These are or may be names of programs or commands, and if they are, do not
need to be on these lists, since programs will be part of the objectives
when they need to be:

        chat ?
        COAS (coas)
        cut ?
        die ?
        LISA (lisa)
        Lizard (lizard)
        netscape
        nice
        rpm (the program)
        Samba (samba)
        SaX (sax)
        tail
        tcp_wrapper ?
        turbodesk

These I think belong in the list (some additions of my own); this is open
for discussion, including which alternative will be preferred:

CERT    ~       Computer Emergency Response Team        ~
BUGTRAQ ~       ?       ~
CSLIP   ~       Compressed Serial Line IP       ~
Debian  ~       DEBorah & IAN (Murdock) ~
        A GNU/Linux distribution built by a volunteer organisation.
DMA     ~ Direct Memory Access  ~
GNU     ~ GNU's Not Unix        ~
        a Free Software Foundation project to build Unix(R)(TM)-compatible
        utilities and programs exclusively based on free program code.
graphical user interface        ~       GUI     ~       N.B.: refer to a
        "graphical user interface" only if there actually is a graphical
        interface (like X), and do not use it for interactive programs on
        terminals (based on ncurses or slang).  Use "interactive interface" as a
        catch-all.
I/O     ~       Input/Output    ~
IRQ     ~       Interrupt ReQuest       ~
kbps    ~       kilo-bit per second, Kbps, kBps, KBps
KB      ~       kilobyte, kB, kb
KBps    ~       Kilo-Byte per second, kBps, kbps
MB      ~       Mega-Byte, megabyte, mb
logfile ~       log     ~       record of activities
MS-Windows NT   ~       NT, Windows NT  ~       A 32-bit operating system
        from Microsoft(R)
Caldera OpenLinux       ~       Caldera, OpenLinux, CSOL        ~
        A commercial Linux distribution
PnP     ~       Plug and Play   ~
RedHat  ~ Red Hat, RH   ~ A commercial Linux distribution
RPM     ~       RedHat Package Manager, rpm     ~       a package format
        (cf. "rpm" for the package management program).
SUID    ~       Set user ID, suid       ~       a permission bit for files
        in Unix-compatible file systems
SuSE    ~ S.u.S.E.      ~ A commercial Linux distribution
TurboLinux      ~       Pacific HighTech Linux, PHT     ~ A commercial
        Linux distribution
UTC     ~       Coordinated Universal Time      ~       Official world
        time
virtual console ~       virtual terminal, VT, VC        ~
X-terminal      ~       X-station

"arp" I think should be capitalized (Address Resolution Protocol).  I
think it should not be spelled out, because I believe it is the name of a
formal protocol (does anybody know the RFC?)

these keywords are duplicated:
        "dependency"
        "media"
        "postscript"

Should this actually be in level I?
        DHCP
        ICMP
        Smart? (what is that, where does it come from?)
        WINS

These already are in the list:

        NFS
        NIC     (N.B.: this TLA is deprecated, and should be spelled out!)
        SCSI

--

        Tom "thriving on chaos" Peters
                NL-1062 KD nr 149       tel.    31-204080204
                        Amsterdam       e-mail  [EMAIL PROTECTED]