Here is a (hopefully) final formulation of the consensus point on use
of jargon, which we discussed last week.  Forrest Tiffany proposed some
improvements in formulation, which I adapted in part.  The main change in
contents is, that I tried to clarify the update policy: the list may be
updated when we start developing a new test, but we don't want to change
the list and go back to change the objectives and tests.

  Alan Mead already composed a draft list, which you can get in text or
HTML from:      http://conan.ipat.com/~cert/

Consensus Point VIII:   Jargon

  The Linux Professional Institute will not explicitly test on knowledge
of jargon or acronyms.  The examinees are expected to be familiar with
concepts that have a commonly used acronym for a name (e.g. TCP/IP).
However, we will not require knowledge of the actual meaning of the letters.
  There will be a list of preferred terms and deprecated synonyms.
Acronyms which are not explicitly listed as "preferred", should not be
used.  This list will also contain definitions of the terms within a
certain context where this appears necessary.  The list will be updated
while successive tests are being developed by LPI, and the tests will be
made consistent with this list.

        Tom "thriving on chaos" Peters
                NL-1062 KD nr 149       tel.    31-204080204
                        Amsterdam       e-mail  [EMAIL PROTECTED]