Thanks much Ryan,

Its good to know this situation can be handled via the CLVM layer even though GFS2 doesn't provide a method directly. I just needed to know there was a way to deal with those situations. I will hang on to the least bad old RAID system, rather than surplussing it, to use as a temp LUN.

I understand we are not a typical use case. We do re-purpose equipment for other experiments or tasks at times, and it would be great to be able without completely tearing down existing setups. Even though its not a common event, it sure would be nice to have the capability to move older data offline and reduce the file system in place if the situation arises.

Other than just griping, I'd also like to say its greatly appreciated that you (Red Hat) created and have made GFS2 available. We have been using XSan2/StorNext, and its great to have such an alternative. Now that Apple has discontinued its Server support we are looking to move to Red Hat's GFS2 SAN solution. We looked into other cluster file systems like GlusterFS, but we need a real SAN and not a distributed file system for this use case.

Thanks again,
                 Jack