On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 14:14 -0700, Mathias Krause wrote:
> The AES-NI instructions are also available in legacy mode so the 32-bit
> architecture may profit from those, too.
>
> To illustrate the performance gain here's a short summary of the tcrypt
> speed test on a Core i7 M620 running at 2.67GHz comparing both assembler
> implementations:
>
> x86:                              i568       aes-ni   delta
> 256 bit, 8kB blocks, ECB:  125.94 MB/s  187.09 MB/s  +48.6%

Which method do you used for speed testing?

modprobe tcrypt mode=200 sec=<?>

That actually does not work very well for AES-NI. Because AES-NI
blkcipher is tested in synchronous mode, and in that mode,
kernel_fpu_begin/end() must be called for every block, and
kernel_fpu_begin/end() is quite slow. At the same time, some further
optimization for AES-NI can not be tested (such as "ecb-aes-aesni"
driver) in that mode, because they are only available in asynchronous
mode.

When developing AES-NI for x86_64, I uses dm-crypt + AES-NI for speed
testing, where AES-NI blkcipher will be tested in asynchronous mode, and
kernel_fpu_begin/end() is called for every page. Can you use that to
test?

Or you can add test_acipher_speed (similar with test_ahash_speed) to
test cipher in asynchronous mode.

Best Regards,
Huang Ying