Am Freitag, 17. April 2015, 10:14:30 schrieb Herbert Xu:

Hi Herbert,

> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 03:19:17AM +0200, Stephan Mueller wrote:
> > 1. during initialization of a DRBG instance, seed from get_random_bytes to
> > have a DRBG state that is seeded and usable.
>
> I think we either need to use real entropy and block, or mark
> the DRBG unusable until such a time that it has been seeded
> with real entropy.

Do you really think that this is possible? If the DRBG becomes the stdrng, you
would imply that those callers (e.g. IPSEC) may suffer from a long block (and
with long I mean not just seconds, but minutes).

Furthermore, I fail to see the difference between the current default stdrng
(krng -- which is just get_random_bytes in disguise). Thus, the current
situation with the DRBG seeding is not different from the non-DRBG use case.

Therefore, I still think we:

- need to satisfy users with an immediate need for random numbers immediately
after instantiating the DRBG

- need to obtain "/dev/random"-like entropy as we can get hold of it.

Just as a side note, about 2 years ago, I offered a solution that also
provides instant entropy at the time you need it -- see [1]. Unfortunately, it
was rejected based on grounds I cannot fully comprehend

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/10/11/582
--
Ciao
Stephan